LinkedIn has introduced an endorsement system which lets you ‘endorse’ the skills of your connections.
A few quick notes about this:
- I haven’t checked whether these are skills you entered yourself; that seems to be the case though.
- I have endorsed wide, easy skills, such as mastering your native tongue.
- I have endorsed specialized skills that I have witnessed myself, or that are somehow at the core of that connection’s abilities.
- I have not endorsed skills that sound like a core skill, but that to my knowledge aren’t; for example, if I know a project manager, I am not going to endorse them as change manager, even if I have seen them manage changes after the delivery of a project. Similarly, I have not endorsed interaction designers as user experience experts.
- In other words, don’t be shy to add the simple stuff to your profile.
- Also add skills that you know your connections know you possess.
- So far I have been honest and have only endorsed skills that I knew people possessed.
I expect some people will just endorse all the skills of their friends or connections.
- With this system Recommendations are probably going to be more rather than less important, considering my previous note.