You must check out Flight of the Conchords
The Grammy and Emmy they won failed to put them on my radar, so I may be late to the game. I just discovered this New Zealand duo that writes and sings funny songs. If you don’t know them yet, I urge you to check them out. I have spent hours on Youtube Wednesday night just playing all their clips.
Think Asylum Street Spankers, but leaning more heavily on the comedy aspect and with a far greater eye for a finished product. With the ASP it appears to be more about the performers having fun. I’d be curious to know how they’d mix, though.
My favourites so far:
- Frodo, Don’t Wear The Ring (a re-telling of LotR)
- The Humans Are Dead (tapping into a future demographic will keep the music business alive)
- Business Time (“Making love / Making love for two / Making love for two minutes / You said: is that it? / I know you meant: oh yeah, that’s it!”)
- Bret, You’ve Got It Going On (“You just hear want you want to hear”)
- Beautiful Girl (woo-masters, these guys!)
The Americans liked these guys so much, they gave them their own show (only HBO, though). I’ve set my internet video recorder for it. The first clip is of one such episode. It would appear that they are repurposing their songs for these shows, but so far I feel it only worked for the LotR song.